Thursday, October 11, 2007

Barnlund on communication in a global village

Barnlund builds his reflection around such well-known terms as “cultural shock”, “global village” and “intercultural communication”. He seems to consider the physical closeness to the cultural diversity as a raising problem, obstacle to deal with and blames technology for that. I agree that every language and culture have different values and codes of sense-meanings. Yes, we are all different and it is hard to understand each other sometimes even within one single culture. However, I would fear more for example such consequences of globalization as domination of one culture over others, erasing of authentic traditions and values, segregation. I totally support his argument about mutual respect and the fact that if we learn to understand other cultures we become free to choose among the values that better go for us. We are all different, and let it be! This is what makes our world and our life attractive, full of new ideas and variety of colors!

No comments: